Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Star Valley!

We ventured off to our Memorial Day Weekend vacation spot in Star Valley, WY. We really do have such a fun time when we're up there, even though it rained the whole time- we still made the most of it and enjoyed ourselves in the beautiful land, a.k.a. GOD'S COUNTRY (according to Papa Crook)!

Abby reading to Brenna on the way up there.

Me & the girls goofing off in the back seat.
(AHHH- it's the braces!)

Welcome to Afton, WY!
(home of the worlds largest Elk Antler Arch)
Now at the cabins!



this was our room (me & the chicas)... we were in the Fishing Hole cabin- they're all themed so cute!

At the cemetery to decorate the graves of my dad, Grandma & Grandpa Crook, Aunt Janet & Great-Grandma & Grandpa Crook

part of the family on Saturday... headstones make great tri-pods!
(that's so morbid sounding)

Grandma Diane with A & B & Gabriel too!

Hiding out under the umbrella at the cemetery


The girls had fun on cousin Jeremy's longboard! One of the best part of each cabin is the jetted tubs, the girls had at least 6" of bubbles in here and were loving it!



Grandma & Aunt Sandie's cabin had a front porch that the girls pretended they were gymnasts on. They were waiting for Claire to arrive: Cute little Claire wanted to walk and walk and walk, so the girls tried to help keep her from running to the middle of the parking lot.

Then they took Claire for a ride on the longboard too!


Claire was playing with her mom's sunglasses and walked around entertaining us all!

On Sunday, we headed further north to Yellowstone, and at the north end of the valley, there are a few eagles nests that we always love to see if there's anything poking it's head out--- we were surprised to see a bald eagle perched there! Had to stop for a pic!


We stopped at the Teton look-out again, but it was chilly!

We made it to Yellowstone after lots of "hey- that's pretty, lets take a picture" stops and I think we were all amazed at how beautful that place is. It's been a long time since I've been there and I was blown away by the natural beauty!

The girls waiting for Old Faithful to blow

Our feet hanging over the ledge of the hot stuff, patiently waiting...

Funny story: Abby asked me at one point if "we seriously drove all this way to see a geyser?" I told her yes, and she kind of grumbled. But then when it was going- she said
"Wow mom, that was totally worth it!"
SCORE 1 for mom!


This is what Brenna did most of the drive home...
she can sleep anywhere!


This pic was taken as we left the park---- we couldn't stop while heading into the park, so we did it backwards. BUT on the way in as we passed this sign, we spotted a moose down by the water, so I'm trying to attract it to come back with my antlers up! It didn't work.

QUESTION OF THE DAY?
What is the plural form of moose?
(I know I could look it up, but I want opinions before anyone cheats!)


And last, but most certainly not least... the "festival" is obviously gaining some revenue because they've upgraded the sign from
this:

to THIS:
It's so naughty!!!

8 comments:

dana said...

I was looking at that first pic of you and the girls and thinking...huh, Debra looks different. And then you pointed it out, yes!...it's the braces! They look totally fine though. I mean, you'll look gorgeous when they're off. But you still look cute :)

Suman Family said...

Fun times! I love hearing about your Star Valley trips. It looks so rustic and different up there - well, compared to Orange County. I can't believe all the snow too. Crazy weather everywhere this past weekend. Of course, you all look great and your girls are such cuties. I can't believe how old Claire is getting. It must be fun to have a little toddler around. Fun cabin too!

Breanne said...

I want ot go to the festival. Please invte me next year.
I LOVE Jackson Hole. How you ever been to the Bar J Wranglers? They are my absolute favorite thing!! You must go next time you are there. P.S. You need tickets to attend! Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Fun times!!

Breanne said...

Oh, and in answer to your moose question. I think it is Meese!! j/k
Brian Regan is my favorite comedian and he answers this question about half way through this bit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxenUzZPFiQ&feature=related
(I don't know how to make it a link, so copy & paste I guess, sorry!)

Wendy said...

Fun pics, Deb! It is beautiful up there! I'm glad you had fun despite the cool temps. :)

Amy said...

Love your pics! I'm glad you had such a great time. No pic of you typing recipes? ;)
I think the plural of moose is moose. (I know, so profound)

Jodi Leishman said...

I'm glad you guys had a nice weekend. I love your girls in all the bubbles - so fun. Looks like they are natural skateboarder's also.
Yellowstone is beautiful, it just looks a little too cold for me around this time of year.
Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Ruth Ann said...

What great pics Deb -- and I love your layout!! (Amy is right - the plural is 'moose') It looked a little cold ... like it was here!