I've kind of held off posting about this, but the more I think about it- the more I realize the need to document it. Most of you know me well enough to know that I'm kind of a girly girl, but not really. I don't mind getting dirty and working hard, but there are certain things I won't do. One of them being or having anything to do with dead animals. It's just not my thing and I don't like it. So, hunting is an issue... not with those that choose to do it because people can do whatever they want to do- just don't make me be a part of it. My uncle and cousins hunt and I think it's great- but the whole carcass of this dead thing really grosses me out.
Okay, so with that being said- this past Sunday afternoon my friend Emily and I were doing our visiting teaching and as I was driving her home, we noticed a neighbor of ours outside and we thought he was putting up Christmas decorations of some sort. But as we got closer- we both gasped and realized he had an ELK hanging in the tree and he was skinning it! (All I could see was red so I thought Christmas, okay?!) I think we both screamed like little girls because it was not something either one of us expected and it was also kinda gross. So, I went home and then shortly thereafter had to go to church for an appointment and at this point I tried to find some humor in it and thought I whould tell my bishop about it and I am now convinced that he thinks I'm crazy. He asked if I took a picture and I told him that if I had any way of holding a camera steady without vomiting- I would have been all over it, but that wasn't about to happen. He laughed and although I'm sure he was laughing at me, it still made me feel good.
So then (it gets better!)- the house where this took place is another good friend of mine and she watches my girls a couple days a week for me after school (she's awesome!). So, I think it was Tuesday of this week when my girls came home to tell me that their friends dad cut up an Elk in their backyard and I pretended to think it was cool. I asked them if they saw it and they both said no and all they saw was the legs (I'm thinking it was covered up and the legs were the only part they could see), but Brenna then tells me that their dogs love the legs. (At this point I'm still for some reason thinking the legs are attached to the rest of the body) but NO- the dogs were carrying the legs around the back yard!!!!!! Is that normal?!?!
Oh my- as I write this I really sound so prissy and I really don't consider myself to be that way, but this is just so not normal in my world. I guess maybe I need to expand my horizons. But then again, maybe I'm okay with my world.
Maybe I need a pet. Nevermind.
Oh wait- here's another good Elk story. Why not put it all out there in one post right? Okay, so last year the guys at my work were talking about the "hunt" and I asked my boss if he hunts and he said he goes on the cow hunt every year and I seriously got all excited! I told him I'd totally go on that hunt because I would love me some good cuts of beef. Just then- EVERYONE in the room burst out into laughter and proceeded to inform me that a "cow" is a female Elk. Like I was really supposed to know that... I'm a stupid fake blonde Californian!
It's okay- I'm not too proud to tell that story. I have my moments and I also haven't spent much time at all studying the animals that roam the mountain sides of this country. Sorry!
Okay, so with that being said- this past Sunday afternoon my friend Emily and I were doing our visiting teaching and as I was driving her home, we noticed a neighbor of ours outside and we thought he was putting up Christmas decorations of some sort. But as we got closer- we both gasped and realized he had an ELK hanging in the tree and he was skinning it! (All I could see was red so I thought Christmas, okay?!) I think we both screamed like little girls because it was not something either one of us expected and it was also kinda gross. So, I went home and then shortly thereafter had to go to church for an appointment and at this point I tried to find some humor in it and thought I whould tell my bishop about it and I am now convinced that he thinks I'm crazy. He asked if I took a picture and I told him that if I had any way of holding a camera steady without vomiting- I would have been all over it, but that wasn't about to happen. He laughed and although I'm sure he was laughing at me, it still made me feel good.
So then (it gets better!)- the house where this took place is another good friend of mine and she watches my girls a couple days a week for me after school (she's awesome!). So, I think it was Tuesday of this week when my girls came home to tell me that their friends dad cut up an Elk in their backyard and I pretended to think it was cool. I asked them if they saw it and they both said no and all they saw was the legs (I'm thinking it was covered up and the legs were the only part they could see), but Brenna then tells me that their dogs love the legs. (At this point I'm still for some reason thinking the legs are attached to the rest of the body) but NO- the dogs were carrying the legs around the back yard!!!!!! Is that normal?!?!
Oh my- as I write this I really sound so prissy and I really don't consider myself to be that way, but this is just so not normal in my world. I guess maybe I need to expand my horizons. But then again, maybe I'm okay with my world.
Maybe I need a pet. Nevermind.
Oh wait- here's another good Elk story. Why not put it all out there in one post right? Okay, so last year the guys at my work were talking about the "hunt" and I asked my boss if he hunts and he said he goes on the cow hunt every year and I seriously got all excited! I told him I'd totally go on that hunt because I would love me some good cuts of beef. Just then- EVERYONE in the room burst out into laughter and proceeded to inform me that a "cow" is a female Elk. Like I was really supposed to know that... I'm a stupid fake blonde Californian!
It's okay- I'm not too proud to tell that story. I have my moments and I also haven't spent much time at all studying the animals that roam the mountain sides of this country. Sorry!





3 comments:
That is so not okay in my world either. I get grossed out when we go to Idaho and Sean's mom says, aren't these steaks good their from so and so's cattle...I prefer to think my meat comes from Costco.
Your story telling abilities crack me up! I love it!!
... and dogs carrying around elk legs in their mouth... so not ok.
Great story! My dad was a little too late on Sunday to see the Elk in the yard. At least our deer was in the backyard, not out there for everyone to see. Thanks for finally telling the story, it brightened my Thursday!
Post a Comment