Yesterday and today I've realized something... I am not consistent with my children and it's not doing them or me any good. So, I've made a goal of working on being consistent with them in hopes that they will understand that when mom says "no" that it means "no" and if they choose to not obey- there will be consequences. Parenting is by far so much more difficult than I ever imagined, but I do the best I can.
Anyway, yesterday I brought the girls back to work with me so I could get a few things done and it wasn't my most favorite experience. I bribed and did all I could to make it a pleasant experience for them as well, and it pretty much bit me in the butt! So, we came home and they were both put in time out (part of my consistency plan) and I felt it was semi-good.
Then comes today. We had a good morning, they went to school and Aunt Janna was willing to have them come to her house for a few hours this afternoon. When I got there to pick them up, they once again were having little obedience issues. Abby has a little attitude on her and they both are really good at taunting one another. So, once again time out was set for when we got home also because the car ride home was anything but quiet. Time out came and went and I talked to each of them about why they were put in T.O. and I got the funniest response from Abby. It went something like this:
Mom: Abby, do you know why you were put in time out today?
Abby: Because I didn't obey, and I was fighting and pinching and being mean to Brenna.
Mom: And are those things okay to do?
Abby: No, I promise I'll never never never ever do it again.
Mom: But Abby, you say that a lot and for some reason we keep having the same problems.
Abby: Mom, I just keep forgetting how to be good.
Mom: Well, I thought you were a good rememberer, what happened to that?
Abby: My rememberer is on vacation and that's the problem mom.
Mom: Well, I think she needs to come home right now so you stop forgetting how to be a good girl.
Abby: I need to call her then and tell her that. She gave me her cell number before she left.
and from here, she picked up the remote to the portable DVD player and called Miss Rememberer and told her she needs to get home now because her mom said so!


So- here's to hoping that we will be successful... wish us luck!





4 comments:
Ok - that is such a funny story!!! Abby Jane, you crack me up! :) I hope your rememberer comes back QUICK!
LOL - You have to give her credit for having an imagination... even if she can't remember it
Well I guess I haven't checked blogs in a while... that was way too funny!
Funny conversation! Consistency is hard. A friend of mine recommends "Parenting through love and logic". I need to read it. I'll let you know if it helps. :)
Post a Comment