Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Abby's 1st day in 1st grade!

She did it! Abby is off to her first day of being at school
A L L D A Y L O N G!
She woke up early, and was ready to be out the door almost an hour before her bus came! I hope today goes as well as she is hoping. She hasn't been nervous at all and just can't wait to see her friends again!

Here's my little Abby Jane in the outfit she picked out and with her new backpack. She's all set to go!


We had to do something to pass the time,
so she posed a bit for me!


Brenna took this picture of Abby at the bus stop.
She's either dancing or holding up #1 for first grade!


My girls at the bus stop... Brenna still has another week until kindergarten starts. (That story will follow... stay tuned)


And she's off!!!
I can't believe she's in FIRST GRADE!

Brenna and I then went to the school for her kindergarten assessment and we got to see Abby sitting in her classroom! She looked SO cute and was listening so attentively!

Abby's teacher is:
(she's a super cute girl from California!)

To back up 24 hours... yesterday was "meet the teacher" day at their school. We went and heard lots about the things they'd be doing at school. Every time Abby was told something i.e. going to the library or eating lunch in the cafeteria, tears would fill Brenna's big eyes and she'd start with the "but mom, it's not fair" stuff. As we left the school doors, the tears came flooding down her face and she was having a full blown 16 year old hormonal drama moment! Once we were in the car, I was trying to talk to her about it and she said:
"But mom, if you wouldn't have had Abby be born first, I could have been the one who gets to be in first grade right now and that's why it's not fair!" (If you've ever heard Brenna talk while crying, you can get the picture even better!)
I explained to her that it wasn't my choice who was born first in our family. She didn't care or believe me... she was just not happy! Abby was sweeter than I was and tried to console her and tell her all about the fun things they do in kindergarten. Where as I, on the other hand, just couldn't stop laughing!!!

She then said: "that's it, I'm going to second grade!"

And the funny thing is that her WONDERFUL teacher (in kindergarten) was blown away by Brenna during her assessment. She asked Brenna to read a book to her. It was a book with maybe 3-4 words per page. Brenna whipped right through that. She then got her the next step up to read and again, she read it with ease. Then again and again and again until Brenna was reading through first grade level books without any hesitation!
Can I just say that I was having a hard time not feeling SO proud of her! She, being only 15 months (and 1 day) younger than Abby, was reading right along with Abby last year and she now LOVES to read!
Mrs. Hylton was impressed and so was I!

I can see a huge desire in both of my girls to want to learn! They remember EVERYTHING (which bites me in the butt sometimes) and I am so excited for this school year for them to continue in their desires to learn! (and for me to have some alone time!)

Horray for fabulous, loving and patient teachers!

7 comments:

Janna said...

Oh Abby your outfit is so adorable! Wow she's gone all day.
Poor Brenna, but I know she is going to LOVE kindergarten- that little smarty!

Sandie's Spot said...

Love the outfit!
Brenna will end up being the teachers aid when it comes to reading time... I can already see it.

Amy said...

Good luck on your first day Abby! So fun! Brenna will get to go soon enough... and she'll be the smartest one in the class!

Diane said...

Brenna will be the first TA for Kindergarten on record. Got to love those little cuties. Can't wait to hear all about Abby's first day.

Ruth Ann said...

I am so glad you are documenting all of the cute things your girls say ... it will be so fun to look back on. Brenna is a nut!!

Megan said...

Happy first day Abby! I hope she loves it!
Your day will come Brenna!

Jodi Leishman said...

YEAH for Abby hitting 1st grade!! I love 1st grade. Go to school all day, eat lunch at school... so fun!
Brenna is hilarious. She's got it all figured out.