Monday, August 11, 2008

lots-o-driving & lots-o-fun!

Last Tuesday afternoon, the girls and I loaded up and headed to meet Grandpa & Grandma Carlton in St. George. I was headed up to girls camp on Wednesday and they were kind enough to take the girls while I got to go play and not sleep @ camp with our stake. I knew they were in good hands and the switch of booster seats, pillows, suitcases & kids went smoothly and quickly. Grandma Charlotte told me that she and Grandpa were talking as they left the heat of St. George about how she felt bad that they just took the girls and left, and then she said that Abby immediately said "oh, don't worry about it. I'm sure mommy was glad to get rid of us". I was dying laughing when she told me this and honestly don't know where she heard that, but it was still funny, nonetheless.

Me being bored and trying to stay awake on my drive home.

They had a fabulous time going out to dinner, and swimming and going to the movies. And then Daddy came in town to be with them and they had even more fun with him too. They swam every day for hours on end and loved it! Abby loved showing off her swimming skills and worked on a few more, and Brenna on the last day of being there- decided she could swim too and she did! Now all she says is "yeah, it's so easy. All you do is put your head down in the water and use your arms an legs." Duh- I've been telling her that all along, but she finally did it and is so proud of herself!

I saw this as I was heading into Heber and was so grateful for red lights... how funny is this?

Girls camp for me was a blast! We are lucky enough to go up to the Heber Valley Girls Camp that the church has built and I joke that it's like the camp Hilton. Hot running water anytime you want- amazing cooking facilities, bathrooms that aren't fly infested and that don't stink. It's amazing up there! Being up there all week is hard for me because of work, my girls and everything else, but the time I was up there was perfect! The girls in our ward are amazing and so strong and SO MUCH FUN!

Some highlights:

*One of our young women, Kenzie Lott a.k.a. 'K-Money' made up a rap about girls camp and it was the funniest thing I've ever heard! She had the gangster attire, the "grill" and the "bling"! She received 2 standing ovations which tells you how great it was and she deserved more than that! (I can't get the video to upload, otherwise you could all see it!) I was in tears trying to not laugh as I was video-ing it... it was fabulous!These are Kenzie's shoes- I TOTALLY had a pair of these that were silver & pink & white and she bought them @ DI! So rad!

** We went on a hike to the lake which and had so much fun on the water! My friend Colbie brought a football, which turned into a splashing tool (mostly because I throw like a girl!). A few of our girls capsized their canoes (intentionally). Us leaders were safe in our paddle boats, but we were stupid and not thinking about how tired our legs were going to be on the hike back. Oh well- we survived.
** We played silly games and laughed tons! We also played sand volleyball and proved to the girls that the older you get- the better you play. It was tons of fun!
** Experienced some thunder and lightening and rain- LOVE IT!
** Testimony meeting was great and of course there were s'mores and roasted starbursts. It's a tradition in our ward, and better than you'd expect.
** I don't think I've ever wanted a shower as bad as I wanted or needed it!

I think the girls had a great time and I'm so glad I got to go up and be with them!

************************************
I got home Friday morning, took the blessed shower and got myself packed up and ready to head back down to Vegas to see my girlies! I made good time down there and then got to enjoy relaxing in the pool and sleeping in a bit while there. We drove to the mountains to escape the Vegas heat (which worked- it was 75 degrees or so up there compared to the 100+ degrees in town). We went on a little hike to "Little Falls" and as I look at these pictures- I don't even have proof that there is water coming down... it trickled down the rocks a little more than this shows, but it was fun to do it with everyone. Abby & Brenna were troopers and did really well.

Brenna kept asking why the walls had Jesus written all over it.
She thought it was Jesus Christ obviously, not the Mexican name!


Abby & Brenna with their Dad & Grandpa

Grandma Carlton with the girls

Walking back down the rocky trail

On the chair lift @ the Las Vegas ski resort
(sounds like an oxymoron if you ask me!)


AND THEN...
The girls and I left to go home on Sunday morning and finally made it home after a little car "issue". To back up, when I was leaving the girls camp in Heber- my instrument panel on my car said to check the coolant. I thought it was odd since my car had been sitting still for 48 hours, so I turned the engine off and turned it back on and the message was gone. I did call my auto place that I take my car to on my way down the mountain and asked them if I could stop by and have them look at it since I was heading down to the middle of the desert later that day. They checked it for me and even though I noticed it was more on the "minimum" level, I trusted them and was on my merry way. Got to Vegas- no problem. On the way home, we were in the middle of the Virgin River Gorge when I noticed my A/C not blowing as much cold air as it had been. So, as I watched my temperature gage slowly climb to the dreaded red zone, I pulled over to let it cool down. NOTE: it was 106 degrees outside and I had NO cell phone reception. Abby and Brenna immediately started to panic and Brenna told me that she doesn't want to die, and Abby was worried that the police were going to be mad at us for stopping on the freeway. I tried to re-assure them that we were fine, but they were already worked up and both were crying in the back seat, which then made me cry. I had tried to start the car a couple times, but it immediately shot up to the red zone each time. Abby then asked if we could say a prayer, so we did and it immediately calmed their nerves. She then kept asking me to start the car again and I tried telling her that I wanted to wait a little longer. After a few more minutes I started the thermostat stayed in the safe zone and we got back on the road. Right away Abby said to me "mom, I'm so glad that Heavenly Father listens to us and answers our prayers. I think he was just really busy with everyone else's prayers so he had to wait a few minutes to help us." How sweet is that? Such a faith building experience for my girls and I'm so glad they had enough faith to believe that He could help us. They were cute and kept talking about it until we got to St. George and found a nice man (who's mom lives in Springville... ironic) at the local Auto Zone to help us and added more coolant to my car.

Now we're back home, back to work and friends and trying to get ready for school to start on the 20th for Abby & the 27th for Brenna! They're both SO excited!

3 comments:

Amy said...

WOW! You've been busy! Love the prayer story. Cute girls you have!! They've been raised well. ;)

Megan said...

What a great story! Isn't it awesome when you can see that they "get it"? Sounds like you've been busy, but having a blast!

Breanne said...

What a sweet faith building experience. You are obviously a very good mom. It looks like you have had a ton of fun. And about girls camp, we used to roast Tootsie rolls. Delicious. Try it next year.