Friday, October 19, 2007

Out of the mouth of MY babes!

Sometimes I love to turn the radio down in the car and listen to the things my girls are talking about. Today was one of those days when Brenna asked me when she was going to die. I tried to explain to her that most people don't know when they're going to die. She then asked if Papa knew when he was going to die and I told her no, but he was really sick and just wasn't getting better, and then she cut me off and said "so, he just decided to go to heaven to not be sick anymore" and I thought about it for a second and said "yes". Then her & Abby started talking about it and it went something like this:

Abby: I miss Papa and wish we could go see him in heaven.
Brenna: But Abby, heaven is in Star Valley and we goed there 3 times already this year.
Abby: I know, but heaven isn't only in Star Valley Brenna.
Brenna: Yeah it is because that's where Papa is and brenember- he's in heaven.
Abby: Mom, is heaven really only in Star Valley or can it be in Utah too?
Me: (pause) Yes Abby, heaven is kind of everywhere. Brenna just thinks Star Valley is heaven because that's where Papa is burried.
Abby: See Brenna, that's just where Papa is burried
Brenna: I know, I just forgotted that part.

Then a little while later, we passed our Stake Center and Brenna says to me:
"Mom, there's lots of people going to church and it's not even Sunday. And look- they're all wearing black"
Me: Yeah, it looks like it's for a funeral honey.
Brenna: What's that?
Me: It's what happens when someone dies.
Brenna: We've had lots of talks about dying today haven't we?
Me: (trying not to laugh)- yeah we have.

Needless to say, we're having an "I miss Papa day"


Here is our favorite pic of mom & dad!


This is my new favorite pic of dad... this was a very typical dad face- I love it!

3 comments:

Megan said...

I LOVE that Papa Crook face.
I miss him too.
I love the little converstation between your sweet girls.

Alisa said...

How cute!! I love reading about your girls' conversations!!

Jodi Leishman said...

Your girls are such thinkers. What a neat conversation to have with them. Good job mom for turning down the radio and paying attention to it.